The demand for nurses continues to be a serious problem in our nation’s healthcare system and most especially for the rural areas of Eastern Kentucky.
However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Employment Projections 2021-2031, the Registered Nursing (RN) workforce is expected to grow by 6% in the next decade.
What does that mean for our region?
It seems that right now is the best time to join the next generation of nursing students to help our Appalachian region be able to sustain healthy communities.
To help with this, we are partnering with the Kentucky Department for Public Health’s Office of Health Equity and the University of Pikeville to host the second-ever Appalachian Nursing Academy.
Thirty incoming junior and senior high school students in the Appalachian region will be chosen to be a part of this unforgettable summer program. The Academy will be held from July 9-21 at the University of Pikeville.
Our FREE two-week academy offers:
- Housing at the University of Pikeville
- Three meals a day
- Interactive programming with workshops, presentations, shadowing, mentorship, tours, etc.
- $1,500 scholarship to further your education at ANY college or university
- Trips to see and experience regional attractions and activities
Want to apply?
Here is the criteria:
- You reside in one of Kentucky’s 54 Appalachian counties
- You are an incoming junior or senior at your high school
- You do not have to have any prior experience related to nursing to apply. Your interest is all that matters.
The application deadline is March 31, 2023.
Do you have a charismatic mentoring personality? Do you have previous experience working at a summer camp or just wanting to be a part of this amazing nursing academy?
Consider becoming a chaperone/RA this summer!
The role of chaperone/RA would include assisting in supervising the students and responding to any issues that arise, making sure students stick to the schedule and are where they need to be at designated times, and serving as someone who can speak more about their experience in college on a more casual level. You would be required to reside in the dorms with the students for the duration of the program.
You can apply HERE.