Preparing for the healthcare jobs of today and tomorrow
There is a demand for nurses now and in the years to come. It’s a national challenge, but we are tackling it with a home-grown solution.
That’s why we’ve partnered with the Kentucky Department for Public Health’s Office of Health Equity to host the second-ever Appalachian Nursing Academy (ANA). The academy will be held from July 9-21 at the University of Pikeville.
- Housing at the University of Pikeville
- Three meals a day
- Interactive programming with workshops, presentations, shadowing, mentorship, tours, etc.
- $1,500 scholarship to further your education at the college or university of your choice
- Trips to see and experience regional attractions and activities
- You reside in one of Kentucky’s 54 Appalachian counties
- You are a rising junior or senior at your high school
- You do not have to have any prior experience related to nursing to apply. Your interest is all that matters.
Deadline: April 15, 2023
How to apply
- Applications will close on Saturday, April 15, 2023, at 11:59 PM EST.
- Initial offers of acceptance will go out at the beginning of May.
- If you are accepted into the ANA, you MUST be present for the entire program.
- Those selected will be required to participate in a year-long mentorship program following the Academy.
Interested in applying for the ANA? Below are some important details and dates that you’ll need to be aware of!
To apply, you must:
- Reside in one of Kentucky’s 54 Appalachian counties
- Be a rising junior or senior for the 2023-2024 school year
- Have an interest in pursuing a career in nursing or healthcare
Ready to apply? Here’s what you’ll need:
- A signed parent/guardian notice and permission form.
- A completed application.
- A copy of your unofficial transcripts
- One letter of recommendation. You’ll provide their contact information in your application. We will contact those listed for a confidential recommendation.
2022 ANA Numbers
SOAR is health-focused, with a mission to reduce the physical and economic impact of obesity, diabetes, and substance abuse. We’re also an expert resource for all things COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has partnered with SOAR to lead the charge on health and disease prevention in Eastern Kentucky. Our joint efforts address regional health disparities in access, quality of care, and health outcomes.
SOAR has partnered with Eastern Kentucky healthcare networks to showcase potential careers local high schoolers can take advantage of once they graduate. The goal is to show them the healthcare careers that are available in their own backyards.
Watch the recap of our Spring 2023 Healthcare Career Pathway Fair.
SOAR has partnered with the American Heart Association and AmeriCorps on a new initiative: HeartCorps. A dedicated team member will work to address high blood pressure and promote heart health in Eastern Kentucky. Contact us to learn more!
Let’s make it official
Get email updates about events, news, and milestones in your county. Help us power a revolution, one Eastern Kentucky community at a time.
"*" indicates required fields
By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: SOAR, 137 Main Street Suite 300, Pikeville, KY, 41501, http://www.soar-ky.org. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact