Shaping Our Appalachian Region, Inc. (SOAR) is excited to announce the finalists for our third-annual Startup Appalachia Pitch Competition, presented by Community Trust Bancorp, Inc.
The Pitch Competition, which is a collaborative effort with the Cabinet for Economic Development’s KY Innovation Office, will be held on Tuesday, October 12 at 5 p.m. at 2nd and Main in downtown Corbin. The competition allows for startups to build upon their unique business idea with external funding to support and invest in their growth.
The finalists listed below will be competing for a grand prize of $7,000, a second place prize of $4,000, and a third place prize of $1,500. The grand prize winner will also have the opportunity to make their pitch during the plenary session at the 2021 SOAR Summit on October 14th at the Corbin Arena.
The finalists for the 2021 Startup Appalachia Pitch Competition are:
- Ryan Montgomery, Spinning Wheel Innovations
- Ryan has used his many years of physical therapy to perfect his market tested shoe insert for treatment of plantar fasciitis, a common type of pain experienced in the heels of one’s feet. Seeing a need of over 1 million patients in the U.S. alone, he worked to create a cheaper solution that both resolves symptoms while also treating the underlying cause of plantar fasciitis.
- Raenae Moore, CTTS-Community Treatment & Tracking Solutions
- Raenae has developed the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Product, an app that is used for treatment and tracking of those struggling with substance abuse. Her app will help those that suffer from substance use disorder unlearn harmful behaviors, aiming to provide assistance at the touch of a button.
- Billy Brown, Wall Eye Solutions
- Billy has worked to create dressed ports through any barrier such as walls, floors, and ceilings that allows wires, tubes, and cables to be run in places they were unable to be before. This product allows for homeowners to access outlets on the other side of walls or in the basement below with ease.
- Josh Worthy, Integrated DX
- Integrated DX is a startup looking to provide a full service clinical laboratory that offers the same testing as their nationwide competitors, right here in KY. This expands testing and other services to support physicians’ work in diagnosing and treating various conditions.
- Leigh Rose, Rose Hollow
- Rose Hollow Cabins is located 15 minutes from Red River Gorge and Natural Bridge State Park offering cabin rentals on their 83 private acres. The proximity to two of Kentucky’s most beautiful pieces of scenery will allow you to get away and enjoy cabin life for a weekend.
- Jeremy Bryant, Kentucky Creative
- Kentucky Creative is a gallery and bistro that strives to be a melting pot for local artists. Jeremy wants to include a wide variety of local art, including both visual and other forms, allowing local artists to express themselves in a Parisian ambiance.
- Adam Larkin, AJ Clothing Company
- Adam Larkin, CEO of AJ’s Clothing Company, created his company to inspire others. After struggling with addiction, he sought to show others that with God, family, sobriety and friends-anything is possible.
- Matt Lorimer, Lost Creek Co
- Matt and his team work to develop clothing products that are both durable and stylish. Keeping items comfortable and trendy, they are working to bring the great outdoors to your wardrobe as they showcase the Appalachian Mountains.
We invite you to join us at the 2021 Startup Appalachia Pitch Contest. The event is free and open to the public. Doors will open at 4:30 p.m.
For those of you that can’t join in person, visit the SOAR Facebook page for a live stream of the event.