Did you know that less than 1% of Venture Capital goes to rural communities. That has to change!
That’s why we are hosting a Focus Summit on Entrepreneurship and Innovation on June 23-24 in Hazard. The Summit is presented by Kentucky Power and will be held at the First Federal Center on the campus of Hazard Community and Technical College.
Register now for just $35!
We’re building two days of detailed, interactive, and inspirational programming around what must do to elevate activity and support around entrepreneurship and innovation across the region.
- Conversations with Founders
- Breakout Sessions
- Panel Discussions
- Dynamic Speakers
- The Startup Appalachia Pitch Competition, presented by Community Trust Bancorp.
Areas of focus
While we know the challenges facing entrepreneurs and innovators in Eastern Kentucky, we want to also shine a light on opportunities, or resources, already in place.
This includes incentives and programs around such as:
- Opportunity Zones
- New Market Tax Credits
- Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Financing
- This financing enables property owners to make their homes and businesses more efficient and resilient.
- Energy Project Assessment Districts (EPAD)
- EPADs help promote economic development by helping businesses manage their energy costs and meet sustainability goals by providing low cost financing for energy projects.
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs
- Through a competitive awards-based program, SBIR and STTR enable small businesses to explore their technological potential and provide the incentive to profit from its commercialization.
Just as important as programs and incentives available for entrepreneurs is building greater awareness to the established network of providers and resources in place across Eastern Kentucky. They include:
- SOAR’s Business and Innovation Team
- KY Innovation
- Southeast Kentucky Economic Development Corporation
- The Kentucky Small Business Development Center
- Kentucky Highlands Investment Corporation
- The Mountain Association
- Kentucky Commercialization Ventures
- Kentucky Science and Technology Corporation
- Kentucky Procurement Technical Assistance Center
- Regional Universities and Colleges
Startup Appalachia Pitch Competition
We’re all in on entrepreneurs and start-ups.
That’s why we are hosting our fourth-annual Startup Appalachia Pitch Competition on Thursday, June 23 as part of the Focus Summit. The competition will be held at the First Federal Center in Hazard and is presented by Community Trust Bancorp.
We are looking for the next big idea so much that we are offering a $10,000 prize to the winner. On top of that, the winner will make their pitch as part of the SOAR Summit plenary session on October 20 at the Appalachian Wireless Arena in Pikeville. Second place will get $3,500 and third place $1,500.
We are accepting applications through May 13.
Contact Karen Roberts Prater, our Business Manager, at (606) 766-1160 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.