EEE eee eee – It’s Friday, October the 13th, and the Fall or Spooky Season, whichever you prefer to call the month of October is truly feeling the part.
We’ve had nice, cool, crispy weather here in the mountains and that includes our tree leaves changing colors!
Now let’s take a look to see what is happening in our region …
Better Workplaces Challenge Cup (BWCC) Pitch Competition
How would you like to win $50,000? All you have to do is put yourself into a pitch competition!
This pitch competition is called The Better Workplaces Challenge Cup and it’s a global (3-round) pitch competition for HR and Workplace tech startups solving critical workplace issues.
The first and second rounds are virtual, and the finals take place in person in Chicago during the largest HR conference in the world.
Previous BWCC finals judges included Shark Tank’s Daymond John and best-selling author, Suzy Welch.
Dates to Remember:
- Applications deadline on January 15th, 2024
- Program kicks off in March 2024
Perks for Participants:
- Exposure to a diverse crowd including HR executives, business leaders, and investors.
- A chance to win $50,000 in non-dilutive capital.
- Connection with potential customers.
- An invite to our 2024 Annual Conference in Las Vegas, NV on June 23-26, 2024. (Flights and hotel paid for).
- Fully sponsored booth at the SHRM24 Annual Conference’s Expo Hall, the world’s largest conference in the world.
You can learn more about this competition HERE.
The Workplace Tech Accelerator
The WorkplaceTech Accelerator is a 12-week boot camp for startups disrupting the workplace space
A premier 12-week hybrid accelerator designed for growth-stage startups shaping the future of work.
Dates to Remember:
- Applications due by November 10th, 2023
- Program kicks off on March 26, 2024
What’s in it for Startups?
- A highly tailored program focused on business development with actionable takeaways.
- Guidance from top HR and business visionaries and experts.
- Curated research insights for product development.
- An initial $200,000 investment from SHRM, with potential follow-on investment if certain milestones are met.
- Fully sponsored presence at our 2024 Annual Conference in Chicago (June 23-26, 2023) and Talent Conference & Expo (April 14-17, 2024)
You can learn more about this competition HERE.
2024 Startup Appalachia Pitch Competition
Do you have Appalachia Kentucky’s next big idea?
We want to hear it… and we want to fund it.
Thanks to the generosity of Community Trust Bank, we will award nearly $20,000 in cash prizes with first-place taking home $10,000.
We know that applying for a pitch competition can be a little intimidating. It doesn’t have to be and we are here to help.
Stay tuned to find out where the competition will be taking place!
You can apply HERE.
First-ever East Kentucky Diabetes Symposium
We, alongside healthcare partners throughout Eastern Kentucky, will host the first-ever East Kentucky Diabetes Symposium on Friday, November 3 at Primary Care Centers of Eastern Kentucky in Hazard, Ky.
The event will feature presentations and interactive sessions from leading experts from the state of Kentucky, as well as healthcare providers across the region.
Eastern Kentucky, a region known for its stunning landscapes and tight-knit communities, faces a silent yet menacing threat – diabetes. While this chronic condition affects people worldwide, its impact on Eastern Kentucky is particularly noteworthy.
Registration is just $25.
This includes all programming and a diabetic-friendly breakfast, lunch, and snacks.
We have four speakers confirmed for this event:
- Dr. Steven J. Stack, MD, MBA, Commissioner for Public Health, Commonwealth of Kentucky
- Barry Martin, Founder and CEO of Primary Care Centers of Eastern Kentucky
- Dr. Kristen Stakelin, Associate Professor of Medicine, Medical Director of the Barnstable Brown Diabetes Center, Vice Chair of Ambulatory Operations for the Department of Internal Medicine, and the Associate Chief
- Chlodys Johnstone, PA-C, CDCES, MLDE, MAT
Stay tuned for more speaker announcements!
You can register HERE.
We are currently hiring and looking for positive, fun, hard-working people and we would love to have YOU on our team.
The following positions are accepting applications for our office:
- Outreach Coordinator
- Events Coordinator
- Program Manager
- Startup Program Coordinator
- Administrative Assistant
Join our team, these are some of the benefits you will enjoy having while working for SOAR:
- 100% paid individual health insurance
- SIMPLE IRA retirement plan
- Cell phone stipend
- Mileage reimbursement for work-related travel
- Laptop provided
- Annual bonus
Appalachian Arts Alliance Radio Takeover
The Appalachian Arts Alliance is taking over the radio on October 17th to raise money for their arts education programs. They offer classes to hundreds of students and offer a sliding fee scale to make sure no student ever is ever unable to learn the arts due to inability to pay. Consider donating to this radio day next week!
Can you believe that its their FOURTH ANNUAL Radio Day at WSGS?! They will also be having special guests throughout the day and the famous “Happy v. Scott” DJ Battle.
Be sure to tune in to WSGS on October 17th from 9 AM-5 PM and make a donation if you can.
Want to donate now? You can do so using the link HERE.
Tennessee University Bringing Electric Vehicle Loaner Program to Appalachian Counties of Kentucky
EVOLE KY, is a non-profit advocacy group based in Kentucky that promote electric vehicle and EV charging stations in the commonwealth.
They have signed up to be the “arms and legs” for “Rural Re-imagined” – a program that is funded by the US Department of Energy grant that was put together by Tennessee Tech University.
Basically, they have purchased FOUR electric vehicles and are willing to let any resident within the ARC counties to have one of the vehicles for a free to use loan of up to two weeks.
The vehicles are: 2022 Chevy Bolt, 2022 VW ID.4, 2022 Ford Mache (Mustang), or a 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Pick-up.
You can learn more about the program and how you can sign up to get one of these electric vehicles to test out HERE.
40 under 40 awards in Somerset
The 40 Under 40 Awards will be taking place on November 9, 2023, at the Center for Rural Development.
This event will recognize and celebrate the achievements of some of the most talented young professionals in the Somerset and surrounding communities.
They still have tables and tickets available, but they are going fast!
Don’t miss out on this opportunity to join them for a night of inspiration and celebration. To purchase your tickets, please email email@example.com today.
You can learn more about this award ceremony HERE.
Want to Submit to our Roundup?
Well, that is going to do it for this week’s Weekly Roundup don’t forget registration for the 2023 SOAR Summit ends Thursday, Sept. 28 – so you have less than a week now to register and get your tickets.
Know of a program that needs applicants from our region?
Do you know of a grant opportunity that one of our Eastern Kentucky non-profits could benefit from?
or just have good news from your town?
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Future events to add to your calendar:
- Ashland hosts the 8th annual Firkin Fest, on Oct. 14, Saturday
Beer Heaven Awaits!
Hold on to your beer mugs as Ashland unlocks the gates to craft beer paradise!
Prepare to embark on a journey through the wild and wonderful world of craft beer brewing, with hundreds of distinctive craft beers ready to dazzle your taste buds.
There will also be food trucks available!
You can learn more about the event HERE.
- Brushy Forks Leadership Summit, Nov. 2 & 3
Brushy Fork Institute is excited to invite everyone to attend their 2023 Brushy Fork Leadership Summit: Leading Through Resilience: Imagining the Future, in Berea, Kentucky, on November 2 and 3. The two-day gathering will feature intensive workshop tracks, taught by regional leaders and will have prime content for non-profit development! Attendees choose one intensive, eight-hour track to attend over two days, plus full group keynote and other sessions.
Apollo’s Corner 🐈
It’s too cold to say anything … bring back summer, right meow!