Americorps VISTA Opportunity Available at SOAR
The SOAR team is looking to fill an open Americorps VISTA position. AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteer In Service to America) members are passionate and committed to their mission to bring individuals and communities out of poverty. Members make a year-long, full-time commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or public agency. They focus their efforts to build the organizational, administrative, and financial capacity of organizations that fight illiteracy, improve health services, foster economic development, and otherwise assist low-income communities.
About the Position:
AmeriCorps Project Description: Kentucky Campus Compact (KyCC) is a statewide coalition of Kentucky college and university presidents committed to promoting active citizenship as an aim of higher education. Through KyCC the Toward a Sustainable Kentucky (TASK) program disperses over 50 VISTA members to member colleges and universities, Shaping Our Appalachian Region (SOAR), the Kentucky Promise Zone, or small nonprofit organizations in Kentucky communities that are combating poverty. TASK achieves its anti-poverty goals through service activities in the following focus areas: Economic Opportunity, Education, Healthy Futures, Veteran and Military Families.
VISTA Position Description: The SOAR VISTA member will work to build the capacity of the SOAR organization, including the Areas of Focus, Executive Board, and Futures Forum; as well as the TASK VISTA network, non-profits, local businesses and schools in order to create connections between those people living in poverty and those people who can provide tools to help them break the cycle of poverty in their lives. The VISTA will directly address poverty issues by using SOAR goals, research, contacts and resources to be a champion for the Appalachian region.
Qualifications: AmeriCorps VISTA is open to all U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent resident aliens age 18 and older.
Education: A bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- VISTA is a full-time (40 hours/week), one-year (12 months) commitment
- VISTA living allowance is paid by the Corporation for National and Community Service ($973/month - approx. $11,880/year)
- VISTA provides health benefits
- VISTAs will receive an education award ($5,730) or cash award ($1,500) upon completion of a one-year service term; VISTAs select their preferred award
- VISTAs who need to relocate, and who live 50 miles or more from the service site are eligible for a relocation allowance
- VISTAs are permitted 10 sick days and 10 personal days during the service term
Apply: Go to www.kycompact.org to find instructions on how to become a TASK VISTA.
Contact: Sydney Lee, email@example.com, 606-766-1160
To learn more about Americorps VISTA: http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-vista